Despite the progress in development of advanced control methods PID controllers remain explicitly the most used controllers for technological processes at the lowest level especially due to their simple realization and ability to achieve satisfactory behaviour for stable nonoscillatory or overdamped systems with small transport delay. Even though the structure is simple their tuning is a complicated procedure even for SISO systems. Unfortunately, the existing tuning algorithms for MIMO systems, even if with great application potential, do not consider robustness or disturbance attenuation or even do not guarantee stability.
The research topic include:
design of decentralized PID controllers guaranteeing closed-loop performance, design involving decoupling with respect to robustness and disturbance attenuation and development of adaptive algorithms based on closed-loop identification. The candidates should have a solid background in control systems theory.
Papers in the Journal of Process Control or Control Engineering Practice.
- Ho, W.K., T.H. Lee, W. Xu, J.R. Zhou and E.B. Tay (2000). The Direct Nyquist Array Design of PID Controllers. IEEE Trans. on Industr. Electronics, 1 (47), 175-185.
- Luyben, W. L. (1986). Simple method for tuning SISO controllers in multivariable system. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Process Design and Development, 25, 654–660.
- Chen, D. and D.E. Seborg (2003). Design of decentralized PI control systems based on Nyquist stability analysis. Journal of Process Control, 13, 27–39.
- Gundes, A.N. and A.B. Ozguler (2007). PID Stabilization of MIMO Plants. IEEE Trans. on Autom. Control, 52(8), 1502-1508.
- Tavakoli, S., I. Griffin and P. J. Fleming (2006). Tuning of decentralised PI (PID) controllers for TITO processes. Control Engineering Practice, 14, 1069–1080.
- Gilbert, A.F., A. Yousef, K. Natarajan and S. Deighton (2003). Tuning of PI controllers with one-way decoupling in 2x2 MIMO systems based on finite frequency response data Journal of Process Control, 13, 553–567.
- Gundes, A.N. and H. Ozbay (2010). Reliable decentralised control of delayed MIMO plants. International Journal of Control, 83(3), 516-526.
- Chang, T.S. and A.N. Gundes (2009). MIMO PID Controller Synthesis with Closed-Loop Pole Assignment. Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering 14, Springer Science, 423-437.